[rollei_list] Re: sheet film back

  • From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 14:15:14 -0500

Thank you. I've decided to take a chance on a set, and I'm sure I'll share my experiences.

Elias

On Mar 4, 2007, at 11:29 AM, dpurdy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have quite a lot of experience with the sheet film back and hav used it
for landscape and for still life work.  One thing to be certain of is
getting the ground glass insert with the back. At least some of the time the kits came without the ground glass insert so you see them for sale and often the ground glass isn't in the kit. the Ground glass is important for doing closeups with the Rolleinar. Especially the number 3, as the view out the taking lens is significantly different than the viewing lens
shows.  Also it is nice to be able to check focus and lens alignment.

It would be impossible to cut film out of 120 rolls as the film is too
curly. It is best to cut it out of 5x7 or 4x5. Set up a cutter in the dark with tape markings and cut up a bunch of film in one session so you have lots ready. It is pretty easy to do. You just have to keep track of the emulsion side so create a rule of emulsion up (or down) and stick with it at all phases. With a little practice with the lights on you will figure out how to go about loading the film in. It isn't difficult and the part of the film that will be exposed in the camera is all on one end leaving you about an inch of film for handling on the other end. Try to
keep track of that so you can use the unexposed part of the film for
handling in processing.

The good thing about the sheet film back is that the film cut from sheets lays very flat. It is hard to imagine that it could lay any flatter even with the optical glass back. The problem I have run into is light leaks. I have got 4 complete sets with backs and every one of the backs has worn out velvet light trap material. Also the film inserts easily leak light through the edges and the tops, so you have to be very careful in any kind
of light.

Personally I like using the sheet backs and I like having my images on
individual little sheets of film with the 1 inch border on one side. You can use that for writing notes as well as handling the film. I have some long sleeve material for 120 and I cut that for individual sheets of film.
 I have glued a partition into a 4x5 film box to make a box for the
2.5x3.5 film.

The backs are so cheap on ebay that you might as well try it.

Dennis

Hello Rollei experts,

Would any sheet film back bought in 1954 for a Rolleiflex work on my
2.8C?
What kind of film would I put in it? Would I buy 4x5, and cut it in
two - would that fit?

Thanks,

Elias