[rollei_list] Re: scanners.

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:10:09 -0800

At 02:57 PM 12/21/2005 -0800, you wrote:

Marc,

My objection to that message was that it took over 20 minutes
to download for ONE picture of a guy in a minstrel outfit!

Jerry

Jerry, if you have cable TV switch to Earthlink, AOL, or RoadRunner, all available through Time Warner in San Diego, with free installation. If you go with Earthlink, as I did recently, you get a full suite of applications including a mail system. I still use Eudora because I like the control it offers. If you get the AOL version you get everything handed to you and it's good for folks who don't want to deal with the innards (that's a technical term) of computer systems.

Downloading that file took so little time I didn't even notice a delay.

As an alternative, get yourself a faster modem, external, so you can see the lights to tell what's going on. Internal modems are O.K. but you never know what they are doing. I use a 56K modem with file compression for moving things to and from clients here in San Diego and it really zips along. What speed are you running? (300 baud is sort of obsolete)

DAW

Don Williams La Jolla, CA