[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Wooden tripods

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:53:41 -0400

> My Gitzos are from the early 80s and I have had to take a wrench to the
> smaller one a time or two and it is pretty funny to think of the look on
> Doug's face if I was to take it into him now.  He is still there at PPS
> though I don't think having much fun and looking a little out of place now
> that it is nearly all digital except one little shelf in the back.  I
> asked one of the unending flow of newcomers if there was any Metol in the
> store the other day and of course she had no idea what I was talking
> about.

Did they close out there darkroom corner - nook completely?

B&H has a room bigger than the whole Pro Photo in Portland filled with
darkroom stuff. 4 kinds of clothespins.
Adorama and Calumet show no signs of weakening.
All are selling a ton of high quality inkjet paper as well normally its the
first thing you see when you walk in the door.

I think that with everyone at their computers becoming Photoshop masters its
getting more people into photography. Those people go out and get film
cameras and darkroom stuff and print the old fashioned say. A small
percentage of them. But a small percentage of A LOT!

And we (perhaps you are already) from Photoshop outputting to 8x10 or bigger
film and doing contact printing techniques like platinum.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com