[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Tri-X developer

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 22:07:55 +0200

Thanks Jeff.

Most of those look pretty good to me.

Pablo, I will use the 90/4 APO Symmar, right now I've been having fun with this old 2.8 TLR in Amsterdam. Just got back last night, looking forward to seeing the negs. I shot mostly 125PX and 400TX, but also one roll of Rollei Retro (i.e. APX100).

I ordered 100 rolls of Rollei Retro 100 and 20 KR64P, both waiting nicely for me at the hotel :-)

That should last me a while at the rate I shoot.

Elias, the link was very interesting, I hadn't seen it before. Rodinal isn't listed, but I suppose one of the ones that is might be the same thing with a different name?

I don't have much choice as I can't currently do my own processing, I just didn't want to be 'ruining' potentially good negs (i.e. if it was a known 'undesirable' combination, huge grain and low sharpness, f.x.).

Aaron, what's the difference between 400TX and Tri-X?

On 23 May, 2008, at 20:33, Jeff Kelley wrote:

Richard, your first 3 links don't work due to asterisks in the URL...

Thor, there are over 600 Rodinal/Tri-x 400 shots on Flicker:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=rodinal+tri-x+400&m=text

Jeff

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Richard Sintchak <rich815@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Tri-X is Rodinal is not bad, some really prefer it actually. Though it
may
be a bit grainy it can give wonderful tonlaity and a real "classic" look. The standard for Tri-X for many is D-76, particularly 1-1. Many also like
HC-110 with Tri-X, I think that's what Sanders uses a lot.

Try a couple rolls and see if it's to your liking. Grain for 120 should not
be intrusive I'd imagine. Here are some images of mine with Tri-X in
Rodinal:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rich8155/308687915/*sizes/o/*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rich8155/178827706/*sizes/o/*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rich8155/179552395/*sizes/o/*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rich8155/308687915/sizes/o/

--
Richard S.
San Francisco

My New Photography Website
http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

My Flickr River
http://flickriver.com/photos/rich8155/popular-interesting/

My Commute Photo Blog
http://shootingonthefly.blogspot.com/

On 5/23/08, Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx <tlegvold%40c2i.net>> wrote:

I'd like to hear from other's using this film (the 400 version) what
they're using as a developer. At the moment, due to a fortuitous
dealing with the local pro photography shop, I have free developing
for the next year or so. They use Rodinal. Is this something to be
avoided (for general purpose, not much time or space for home
processing at present)?

Sanders?

Daniel?

Pablo?