[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Re: Tri-X developer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:53:05 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Sintchak" <rich815@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:55 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Re: Tri-X developer

The APX100 should just glitter in Rodinal! I love it. No suggested
times as I do it by hand in single tanks, not a Jobo.

On 5/27/08, Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I use Rodinal mostly for sheet film. Quite some time ago I discovered APX-100 because it was, at the time, the cheapest 8x10 film I could get. The tone quality was outstanding for portrait work as well as general photography. I developed it mostly in Rodinal at 1:50 in trays but also use a print drum. The trouble I have with the drum is that I get bromide streaks when using it on a roller base and not occasionally agitating it sideways. Rodinal seems particularlly prone to this but the real problem is the lack of turbulance in the drum. There is probably enough irregularity in hand agitation to keep this from happening but lifting the drum off the motor base and agitating sideways occasionally also fixes it. My experiments with APX-100 in other developers did not show a significant difference in graininess so I stuck with Rodinal beacuse it works well with this film.
    I also used quite a bit of APX-100 in 4x5.
I settled on 1:50 mostly for the developing time. I prefer somewhat longer times for all developers because the uniformity is better.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx