[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Argomania

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:48:53 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:00 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Argomania

Eastman 5247 was the name of the famous long-standing industry standard 35 mm motion picture negative film. I shot my share, usually in an Arriflex. I have no idea what Seattle Film works actually
spooled into 35 mm still cassettes...

Eric Goldstein

--
I couldn't remember the number. The same emlusion was available in 16mm stock as 7247 but there were variations since 16mm film is made with both single and double perfs and two different windings of single perf film. I think each of these had a separate number but would have to look at an old Kodak catalogue to be sure. Very confusing. 5247 was balanced for 3200K tungsten but could be used for daylight with the addition of a filter. The idea was that only a single stock was needed and the speed would be optimised for the low level of tungsten where usually daylight has plenty to spare to make up for the filter factor. I think Seattle Film Works corrected the color in the printing because the film did not need a filter to be used in daylight. This probably compromised the color somewhat but one assumes that anyone really fussy would have used dedicated still color film.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles