[rollei_list] Re: rollei shutter sticking

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:52:07 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <FSilberman@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 11:00 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] rollei shutter sticking

Just wondering, but generally how long is the shutter stay timed before the
slow speeds start to lag or stick. I generally get a 2 to 3 of years & I
regularly use the camera & run lots of film through it. just wondering as I'm not
sure if the tech I use is doing as fair job or not?

Best,

Frederic

There is no fixed time for this. It depends on the design of the shutter, the kind (if any) of lubrication used, how much the shutter is used, and the amount of dirt that gets into it.
Nearly all high quality shutters made for the last ninety years use a clock-work system to regulate the speeds. It is usually the sludging of the lubricant in this mechanism that results in the problem. Modern synthetic lubricants are less likely to oxidize or to evaporate than those of the distant past so the interval between needed servicing is much longer. To some extent the sluggishness can also be caused by absorption of fine dirt by the lubricant. The rate at which this happens depends on the atmosphere and the design of the shutter, i.e., some are more open to the air than others. Reasonably frequent use of the shutter will tend to keep it from getting sluggish.
Slow high speeds can also be due to weak drive springs and to dirt on the shutter blades or in the blade driving mechanism. Most shutters use a toggle arrangement to drive the blades through a thin rotating ring to which one end of each blade is connected. The blades slide against each other and any residue at all will cause friction and slow down the opening and closing of the blades. Normally, there is no lubricant on the blades or the blade driving ring.
Springs are weakened by use. The repeated stretching or compression of the spring can cause eventual metal fatigue. The old warnings about leaving shutters tensioned are based on a misunderstanding about springs. As long as the metal is not stretched beyond its elastic limit constant tension or compression will not weaken the spring. It is probably a good idea not to leave some types of shutters tensioned because there is force applied to various parts in the shutter, but weakening the springs is not a problem.
So, as far as time interval, its not possible to come up with an exact number because there are so many variables. My Rolleiflex 2.8E was serviced by Harry Fleenor about ten years ago and the shutter is still right on the nose. Several shutters I've done myself also have not seemed to vary over a very long time.
There is at least one reasonably priced shutter tester available. The one I have came from Calumet, its nearly doubled in price since I got mine but is still around $100 US. I have not checked to see if its still available, it may be a victim of digital. Such a tool is very useful for checking cameras for consistency and accuracy. If you are doing commercial work I think one is nearly a necessity. It will tell you immediately if there is a problem.
Keep in mind that the highest couple of speeds on most shutters are marked for their _effective_ speed at full clear aperture of the shutter. On Compur-Rapid and Synchro-Compur shutters the top speed will read about 20% low on a total open time tester such as the Calumet one. This is normal but leads some people to think the shutters are defective.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx