[rollei_list] Re: rollei_list Re: OT: Enlargers (long)

  • From: Robert Marvin <marvbej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:32:54 -0800

Wow--just as I was feeling really good about the "new" enlarger I bought the day before yesterday I see this Email from Jim which makes me somewhat envious.

Anyway, my new enlarger is considerably lower tech than Jim's, but I'm still quite excited about it. It's an Omega B-8, a medium format model that's more or less a scaled down D-2:

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/Discontinued/B8.htm

I had lusted after a D-2 as a kid, when they were new, but realized that I never intend to shoot large format. The B-8 is about 2/3 the size of a D-2, an important consideration since I must keep my enlarger outside of my "darkroom/laundry room" when I'm not printing and carry it in for use. It sits on top of the cloths dryer for printing. The B-8 is actually lighter than it's predecessor, a Kodak Precision Enlarger on which I had substituted a VERY large and heavy baseboard from a Polaroid copy camera for the deteriorated original--something that worked well, but barely fit through the darkroom door.

The Omega will probably NOT make better prints than the Kodak, but it's inclined column will let me use my four blade easel, which I abandoned when I started using 11 X 14 paper as my normal size--it just didn't fit with the Kodak's upright column.

The Kodak Precision machine will be either donated to whatever worthy student I can locate or boxed for possible future use in the Summer house we talk about buying someday. My real dilema is what to do with the Leitz Valloy II I've been using for 35 mm.I have no doubt that the Leitz enlarger I better than the Omega for this size, but how MUCH better? I rarely shoot 35 mm anymore and it would be nice to only have one enlarger sitting on the table outside my laundry room--the Valloy currently sits with it's baseboard on top of the Kodak and must be moved out of the way when when I move the medium format machine for use.

I haven't actually printed with the Omega yet,but everything seems fine for 6 X 6, my usual format of choice.it also came with a 35 mm carrier, but I've ordered a 6 X 9 carrier (for my Kodak Medalist negatives), and a flat lens board (for 35 mm) from Harry Taylor, who seems to be the Omega mavin.

http://www.classic-enlargers.com/

Unfortunately the accessories came to considerably more than the $90 I paid for the enlarger, but I still got away cheap. Furthermore, my wife, usually entirely indifferent to any equipment I might purchase, remarked about how 'professional' the B-8 looked compared to my older enlargers.

Bob Marvin

From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Enlargers (long)

When I re-did my darkroom a number of years ago, I had the same
thoughts. I was getting rid of a Leitz V35 and an Omega D2 and wanted
something that could easily and precisely handle all formats from
35mm to 4x5, print any color process easily, and the same for B&W.

After much searching, I settled on a ZBE Sentinette wall mount
enlarger with a ZBE Starlite 55 head. The Sentinette is a modified
DeVere 54 chassis which is rock solid and always square. The Starlite
55 head is completely microprocessor controlled and can output up to
1100 watts of light. When you key in a CC color balance, the head
turns on and the microprocessor reads the individual colors via
sensors and adjusts the light o/p to be exactly what is keyed-in. If
you make a test strip and find an exposure time, then make a non test
strip print at that time, then decide to change the color balance,
the microprocessor adjusts the light o/p so that the exposure time
will remain constant for the density that you printed for, ie; you
can crank up the magenta until the cows come home, and the print
density will remain the same. You will have a v-e-r-y magenta print
but the print density will be what you wanted. In the B&W mode, you
can select paper grade 0 - 5.5 in .1 steps. After making a good
print, you can change the paper grade up or down and the middle gray
print density will remain the same.

Also, you have complete control over the light o/p intensity. You can
select from -90 to +90 with each 30 being one stop of light. If you
key-in, say, + or - 90 and the head cannot accurately supply that
light, it will select the max that it can offer (+ or -) and then
adjust your exposure time to compensate for the difference. This is a
very cool head.

I use 45/90/150 Schneider APO Componon HM lenses and I print
everything at f/8. My standard print size is 20x24 and I adjust the
light output (they call it density) to give me an exposure in the 15
to 30 second range. With easy to print stuff, I pretty much print 20
sec @ f/8. For a lot of dodging and burning, I go out to 30 sec. 75%
of my printing is Cibachrome, 25% B&W. At f/8 APO Componon HM lenses
are incredibly sharp, corner to corner.

I also bought a used Beseler 45V-XL chassis and a second (used)
Starlite 55 head - for the Beseler. This chassis was used by some
city (used very little) and is the completely motorized version. I am
re-setting up my enlarging bench to accommodate both enlargers, with
a drop table below the Beseler. With motorized controls, I can
raise/lower and focus the enlarger while down on the floor.

The reason for this long diatribe is that I, like you, searched for a
very stable enlarging platform that would stay square, not shake, and
allow me to easily print large prints from 35mm through 4x5. I can
attest to the fact that the ZBE (DeVere) and the Beseler 45V-XL
chassis are built like tanks. I also know that the LPL enlargers are
strong and square. These are what schools typically buy for their
darkrooms. And they have great neg carriers to boot.

I had my first darkroom in 1950. I had an old Federal enlarger. It
was old in 1950! Since then I have had many many enlargers and heads.
What I have now I find to be the best I have ever had. The APO
Componon HM lenses are, without a doubt, the best enlarging lenses I
have ever ever used. I wouldn't trade what I have now for anything I
know that currently exists.

Of what you listed in your post, I would definitely choose the LPL
and the APO-Componon lenses. Great enlarger, great lenses, and both
B&W and color heads. You cannot miss.

IMHO,

Jim

--- Rollei List