[rollei_list] Re: rollei_list Digest V4 #239

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:07:43 -0400

Carlos et al.
Wonder how well the Magics perform with chromes under regular daylight conditions. Does it tend to overexpose for neg film or sightly underexpose like most professional SLRs nowadays? Of course, a test series can clarify that....

Can the selenium metering be restored if you have a bad one (by the meter guy, George Milton, for example)
Jan

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 11:59:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolleimagic

I sold my Rolleimagic I in mint condition (several photographs about it are visible in one of my blogs)to buy a Rolleimagic II, I lost the auction and then I bought the Rolleicord IV. Despite the front cell focusing, the Xenar in that 'Magic 1 was a terrific lens, very sharp, I couldn't tell the diffeence regarding the Xenar in the 'cord IV (and that is a sharp lens really). My Magic worked very fine and the lightmeter was very exact, but I wished more control on the DOF sometimes and then the 'Magic II, however I still regret my decision about to sell the camera. Rolleimagic I and II are the only normal focal length Rolleis TLR with a four elements viewing lens, they are Xenar lenses, it was cheaper to use identical lenses as taking and viewing lenses than to develop a new three elements Heidosmat with front element focusing. For the Rollei TLR cameras purists, the Rolleimagic is not a true Rollei TLR and they are right from certain points of view, but it's an excellent camera for its purpose and took several mechanical parts from the Rolleiflex T; Claus Prochnow was one of the Rolleimagic I and II main designer; he says in the Report II Rolleimagics are "eccentric, extravagant" (ausgefallenen)Rolleis.