[rollei_list] Re: rollei_list Digest V4 #234

  • From: Mike Bischof <nbg90455@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 09:04:53 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry, but I have to take issue with these statements about the Bessa II, and
since I actually own and use one, I do have practical experience with them ;-)

I have a version with "only" the Color-Skopar, but it is a very usable camera.
It accompanied me for the last two years on my Indian adventure (and about 75
rolls of mostly B&W), and while it does have the usual 6x9 folder issues (e.g.
film flatness issue gives you about a 6x8 usable negative), it has a fairly
accurate range finder, and the negatives are tack-sharp. It was my "big camera"
whenever my 4x5 & tripod was not feasible (quite often in India). The one thing
I didn't like about it, was the Tessar-style lens which requires an f8 or so
for optimal sharpness (which often created constraints in available-light
shots), so I just got a Kodak Medalist II (with a 120 Conversion from Ken Ruth)
since it has a Heliar-style lens...

The key is probably (as with any 50+ year old camera) to get one that is in
good shape, and then get it properly CLA'ed...

Cheers,
Mike

Mike Bischof
Phoenix, AZ