[rollei_list] Re: rollei_list Digest V2 #224

  • From: "Richard Sintchak" <rich815@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:51:14 -0700

Jan, right you are.  Problem is many people at the garage sales seem
to have an overinflated value they think an old, family-heirloom
camera is worth.  "It's a really old, rare camera, my dad used it all
the time in the 50's (or 60's or 70's) and therefore it must be worth
hundreds".  For the rare Rollei one might find at a garage /boot sale
this might be the case.  Recently I found a old beaten up, moldy
Canonet that can be had on eBay for around $30-40 (but in good
condition) and the sellers felt $100+ was what it was worth.
Obviously, it was not sold to me.

I think having people see what the local used camera store would pay
can be a very good reality check.  Then offering a bit more than that.

Richard S.

On 8/24/06, Jan Decher <jan.decher@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Jerry:

This rarely works in practice.
Most private sellers I dealt with had no clue what price to ask.  They
really needed me for guidance what their camera was worth.

I than try to built an argument, sometimes I even bring a blue book or show
that the camera really needs costly servicing.  I also recommend sellers to
take their stuff to a camera store and see what they would get in trade-in
(peanuts usually).

You don't get  "garage sale bargains" that way, but you also don't feel
like you cheated people out of their precious heirloom camera. ("my father
used this all the time when I was growing up" - quote from the most recent
exchange).

You are probably right on the reason F's are so rare.

Jan

==== Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote Jan, When dealing with a private seller, I always believe that the seller should establish the first asking price. I NEVER make the first offer. The seller should know what he is offering . If his price is too high, I will politely say "no thank you" and decline it. If it is in my buying range, I will accept the offer. I hate haggling. On the E in question, everything can be made right, but at what cost? Why the paucity of good used 2.8F Rolleis? They are too good to part with. Jerry

--- Rollei List