[rollei_list] Re: rollei_list Digest V11 #135

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 08:39:03 -0800

There are some other Ikoflex manuals on the Butkus site, perhaps one for this camera. The red window is for loading and works like the one in the Rolleicords before the IV.
The Tessar will not match the performance of the Xenotar at large stops but can at its optimum stop, about f/8 or smaller. This is because of an inherent problem with the Tessar.

On 12/19/2015 6:13 AM, Jan Decher wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I picked up the Ikoflex today. It's a Ic (1960?) with Tessar 3.5/75mm shooting and Teronar Anastigmat 3.5/75mm viewing lens.
It seems to be in pristine condition, with a fairly bright viewfinder and working meter needle visible on the
groundglass (!). The meter activates when you flip up the hinged cover over the selenium cell which also reveals the Zeiss Ikon logo on the other side
There is a red window with sliding cover next to the tripod lug to check if the film advances. The perfect brown leather case has spring-loaded sliders
that interlock with the camera's strap lugs. No transfer of the strap to the camera without case.

After shooting 8 or 9 blanks with winding and cocking the shutter in-between the winding knob started to run freely without stopping after
a shot and not allowing me to shoot blanks anymore. Depressing and turning a knurly knob above the (fold-out!) shutter release resets the
shutter. Unusual!

Don't have the correct instruction book, the one Richard linked to below being for the last-of-the-line Ikoflex Favorit.

Only inconvenience in this camera seems to be the separate shutter cocking required (shutter type?) and the LV numbers the meter uses, which have to be
transferred to the dial ("computer disc" in the Favorit Manual - LOL) in the center of the focussing job, then the shutter speed - f-stop combination can be
read off and transferred to the shutter/f-stop settings around the taking lens. I never understood the logic of LV and Zeiss' fascination with it.

Workmanship of this camera is quite exquisite. It's heavy for its compact size with the usual charming (or annoying) Zeiss quirkiness.
Can't wait to test this camera & lens with film and compare it to my RF 3.5 E Xenotar.

Jan

--------
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Ikoflex ?
From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 12:15:45 -0800

standard Rolleiflex. It is focused by moving the whole lens. There is
a PDF manual for it at:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/zeiss_ikon/zeiss_ikon_ikoflex.pdf

The Ikoflex has a condenser field lens in the finder giving it a
very bright finder image.
Its been a long time since I used an Ikoflex. I thought it loaded
using the pointers on the film backing paper similar to the way the
Rolleicord IV loads but there is no mention of it in the instruction
book. The camera does not have a red window. The focus knob covers the
whole focus range in about half a turn, takes some getting used to.

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
WB6KBL