[rollei_list] Re: rollei_list Digest V10 #100

  • From: Jan Decher <jdecher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 15:09:58 -0400

Dear Carlos et al.

Certainly my Kodachromes (mostly 64 some 25) from the mid 70s are holding up much better than my Ektachromes, Agfachrome 50S and Agfa CT 18 and CT21, with Ektachrome being clearly the worst in color changes and fading. Agfachrome 50S is not too bad. It was often the cheapest film to buy and to have processed (2-3 day turn-around) in those days. Kodachrome was about twice the price and a 5 to 10-day return from the only Kodacbrome Lab in Wangen near Stuttgart. Stil wished I had shot more Kodachrome because Kc slides are all much more brilliant and much sharper than the Agfa and Ektachrome ilk. But money was always an issue in my teens...;-))

Writing this a the end of a gorgeous vacation day in beautiful Leiden, Netherlands. Even shot some Rolleiflex (3.5E) pictures on Neopan 400 and Portra 160.

Greetings,
Jan

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 12:20:06 -0300
Subject: [rollei_list] Trying to restore Kodachromes taken 50 years ago
From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>

One of my sisters found a box containing some K 14 35mm Kodachrome
slides taken by my father between 1958 and 1962, the box also
contained some E-6 35mm Ektachrome slides taken by me when I was 16
and 17 years old (1972/73). We believed all these old slides were lost
and, in fact, most of them are lost, but these few slides in the
little box have some of the magic from the old times, when, as
fascinated kids and teenagers,  watched  the projected images .

The slides show very faded colors, dust, scratches and some units have
fungus and humidity stains too, anyway four or five Kodachromes look
pretty good, I don't know the cause for the difference, they are from
the same time, same lab an were kept in the same box.