[rollei_list] Re: [rollei_list]

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 15:38:12 -0500

> Hello Robert, You seem to have granted my point:). That is, since Rollei's
> are not perfect, valid criticism of the mark is in order.
> If one thinks that criticism of Rollei is out of bounds, then start the
> Church of the Rollei.

Its not perfect but its an example of an industrial design which was so
complete and well thought (the word perfect actually is often used) out in
its onset  80 years ago in 1929 that is still plainly recognizable and was
just tweaked over the 8 decades.
Look at the picture of the first Rolleiflex made in 1929
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolleiflex
Another example of such an un interrupted design would be what?

Setting it up against a Mamiya 6 is just comical as it was made for about 3
years in the 90s and just phased out do to wide disinterest and they just
made Mamiya 7's instead. Admittedly a mistake. The Mamiya 6 is a blip in the
history of photography and one which is easy to miss. Even in the history of
Mamiya itself. Here's an interesting context:
http://herron.50megs.com/history.htm

The body of work the Rolleiflex has produced by the greatest photographers
of all time is a historic phenomenon. I'm sure someone at some time took a
notable shot with a Mamiya 6 I just cant close my eyes and picture it.
There are 2 or 3 internet self professed experts, bloggers, who just love
the Mamiya 6 and would seem to be getting a cult going on the camera. All 20
of them that were made making for the buying of them one of the  worst deals
in photography.  The buying of a Rolleiflex one of the best. If not THE
best.

The response I don't get from a Rolleiflex shot at waist level from people
doest not compare to the recoiling response I get from shooting my hold at
my face rangefinder cameras at them. Its still a gun. People don't like
stuff pointed at them.
I don't feel the two cameras belong in the same paragraph. Or on the same
list.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner