[rollei_list] Re: rollei, level

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:33:39 -0300 (ART)

I did a complete test about the rotation axis for the
combo Rolleiflex TLR-Xenotar 2.8/80 lens, this test
was visited very much in the former Rollei Gallery and
I hope to upload it to the web again soon.

I used a special rail with rules to measure the camera
rotation axis from the focal plane. The right rotation
axis for that camera-lens combo is about 64mm for the
rotation axis measured from the film focal plane.

Both Rollei panorama heads provide a right rotation
axis for the Rolleis TLR and this is the advantage to
use them (I think 75mm lenses work better very
slightly than the 80mm with the RPH); it's necessary
to use the second RPH model in conjuction with the
Rolleifix to maintain the right position, you could
use this model screwing it in the camera tripod socket
directly, but the rotation would be wrong and you
could have serious problems to stitch the frames,
except if the subject for the frames is very far from
the camera. There is an almost imperceptible
difference between the RPH original model and the RPH
second model with the Rolleifix about the rotation
axis, but it's a difference little too much to cause
practical effects.

However even if you have a right rotation axis you
could have problems to stitch the frames if you have,
f.e. curve lines in the overlapping area very close to
the camera, it could cause a perspective change
impossible to solve without a pano software.
I don't like to use pano software to stitich the
frames because most times the panos look unnatural and
then I prefer to choose adequate subjects for my
panos.

All the ebst
Carlos

--- Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx> escribió:

> Jim:
>
>       How do you adjust the camera position on the
> panorama head? Does the
> head allow you to move the camera front-to-back to
> situate the pivot
> at the rear nodal point of the lens (or was it the
> exit pupil - I
> remember a lengthy thread on this topic some years
> back . . . )
>
> -Aaron
>

> On Mar 9, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Jim Brick wrote:
>
> > For panoramas I have one of these permanently
> mounted on my tripod,
> > with my camera mount on top of it.
> >
> > http://www.adorama.com/NVPP.html

> with 'subscribe'