[rollei_list] Re: rollei, level

  • From: Fred Fichter <ffichter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:30:04 +0100

Camera level *is* critical, I intend to stitch the frames...
As I have the Rolleifix already, I just bought a Rollei Pano Head on ebay 3 minutes ago. USD 65, a steal compared to the Manfrotto pano head and levelling base that I was considering last night !

Btw, where are all your Rollei panos ? I frequently found links to your stuff when googling, but all links have expired ?

Thanks much,

Fred

Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:
If the camera level is critical for the shot and I'm
using a tripod, I use the Rollei Panorama Head later
model in conjunction with the Rolleifix to verify the
camera level, it allows to control up-down and
left-right level simultaneously (my tripod head allows
to control up-down level only).

I try to repeat similar adjustment method using the
TLR camera hand-held, in other words I move the camera
the same way I move the tripod legs to look for the
camera level; in general I have success, but sometimes
I forget to do this control. If you have a grid in the
focusing screen and the horizon in the background, I
first look for the coincidence between the horizon and
one of the grid lines and afterwards I look for the
foreground level trying to maintain the horizon
coinciding with the grid line, it's easy after a bit
of practice. I use similar method for the Rolleicord
despite the ground glass screen doesn't have a grid.

Finally you have PS, this is my last resource and it
does not work if the distance between the foreground
and the background is large; if you correct the level
for the foreground the background becomes uneven and
vice-versa; other problem with PS is that you need to
crop the image after to vary its level and you could
lose useful image area, however PS works sometimes.
The best way is to control the camera level during the
picture taking like the way I use for this photograph
with the Rolleicord IV:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/307829704/

All the best
Carlos

--- Fred Fichter <ffichter@xxxxxxx> escribió:

Hi gang,

How do you make sure your Rolleiflex is level, when
there's no hot shoe to attach any level ?

Thanks,

Fred

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with 'subscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
www.freelists.org

with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging
into www.freelists.org

__________________________________________________ Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí. Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas, está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta). ¡Probalo ya! http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Fred Fichter
Web http://homepage.mac.com/ffichter
Email ffichter@xxxxxxx