[rollei_list] Re: rollei hood - cap available? & the joy ofRolleigraphy

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 17:25:04 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Lehrer" <jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 4:35 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: rollei hood - cap available? & the joy ofRolleigraphy

Les.

Oh, that Cord! Also, I had thought that the Elevator Garage was invented
by the Japanese company Shin Meiwa after WW2, but I see that it was used
in Chicago in 1936.

Interesting photos.

Jerry

I don't know what sort of elevator parking garage may have been used in Chicago but there were at least two "automatic" multi-story parking garages in New York City c.1932. This type of garage was patented but I don't have a reference to the patent. I have a reprinted book called "New York: The Wonder City" a bit of boomerism of the time. It lists Kent Automatic Garages at 209 E. 43rd St., through to 44th street, 2 Columbus Circle Ave. (at 61st street). The blurb accompanying the pictures says:
"Most ideal garaging facilities ever offered motorists. High speed double width elevators travel one floor per second. A motorist's car is driven in a groove into a "Kent Electric Parker" which tows cars on and off elevators and eliminates any chance of scratching, bumping, or other damage. Makes possible the delivery of a car from any of the floors without loss of time in starting the motor."
The system must have been patented. It would be interesting to track down the patent.

This little book is fascinating. It is pure propaganda. Everything is the biggest, costliest, grandest, fanciest, most elegant, etc., etc. Of course, with qualifications "almost as tall as the Chrysler building" & etc. Well, my house is the tallest structure at this address in Los Angeles.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx