[rollei_list] Re: prove it !

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 11:31:45 -0500

On Saturday, April 2, 2005, at 02:12  AM, Nick Roberts wrote:

> Just taking 35mm slide film, my usage has been at about 150 rolls a=20
> year for quite a few years.

Wow.

I shoot maybe 50 rolls of slide film (all told) in a year. On each=20
individual camera, maybe a dozen. Plus maybe 50 4x5 slides.

I shoot a lot more B&W, but that's cheap, at least as regards=20
developing, and doesn't break the bank.

But I am content if I get just two or three excellent prints (i.e.,=20
good enough to show off even to strangers) in a year, plus maybe twenty=20=

or thirty so-so prints (i.e., good enough to show off to family and=20
friends only). The rest of my shots I just discard. Or at any rate,=20
never show to anyone.

> This has been very largely replaced by digital. My 35mm B&W stuff=20
> continues as before, as does the medium format stuff. It was costing=20=

> me about =A37.50 for film and processing of Velvia/Provia, and I paid=20=

> just under =A31000 for the 10D - in the 16 months I have owned it, I=20=

> have shot about 12 rolls of slide film, a reduction of just about 150=20=

> rolls.

Oh yes, I can see how this would be the case!

> Oh, and I've actually taken MORE pictures than before, of course.

Yes, I understand that using a digital camera encourages one to do that.

> Mind you, the expense doesn't end with the camera purchase - it really=20=

> begins there.

Of course. My prints all cost upwards of $20 (CAN) each, the most=20
expensive (yet) having cost me $167 (CAN). And for that last one, the=20
frame is going to cost over $600 (CAN)!

Plus I intend to have some Platinum prints made by an outfit in Maine=20
(<http://www.photographictraditions.com/>) from my B&W Rollei negs, and=20=

those will cost me, with the internegatives, over $300 (CAN) each.

But THAT cost would exist with digital too, so I don't count it as any=20=

advantage for the digital process.

Cheers.