[rollei_list] Re: postwar changes

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:52:16 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter J Nebergall" <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 7:45 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: postwar changes

RE: The Automat --

I wonder if the poor (current) performance of many uncoated lenses is not
more due to the haze now resident in the old pieces...

Peter Nebergall

That has been my experience. I don't know the source for the haze that forms in some lenses but my best guess is that its from the paint used inside the cells. In any case its pretty common. I've also gotten a couple of lenses which looked like they had been held over a smoking candle. All this stuff cleans off easily, the trick being to get access to the inside surfaces. Even a small amount of haze will noticably decrease contrast. The best test is to shine a flashlight through the lens, that will usually show up haze that may not be apparent otherwise.
The one lens I've never found the secret to opening is the Zeiss Tessar used on old Rolleis. It does not have a front retaining ring or a back cap. I suspect the body of the cell splits into two threaded parts. Perhaps someone on this list knows. I could experiment but do not want to damage a lens just to find out.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx