[rollei_list] Re: old phone numbers

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:26:45 -0800

They changed from 6 to 7 digits to accommodate growth. Use of names were
common in various parts of the world but the study I referred to was for
North America. The Direct Distance dialing started in NJ in 1951. But it was
slow to grow as the equipment in the tel offices around the country were
mechanical and had to be upgraded or replaced to accommodate DDD.

Area codes were interesting the way they were assigned. You may know but the
reason LA and NY had 212 and 213 is that the numbers were originally
assigned by population. The middle digit is the most noticeable as 1 was for
populated cities or states, and 0 for less populated like NJ 201 or
Washington DC 202. So when you dialed on a rotary phone (the patent of which
was owned by GT&E and a major reason Bell developed touch tone) it was
shorter to dial the area code for NY which was 212 than say South Dakota 605
or New Mexico 505.

But all this is history and the understanding of which is long gone.

Peter K

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ferdi Stutterheim" <
> fstutterheim@xxxxxxxxx>