[rollei_list] nikon and Capa

  • From: qwhozeiss@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:51:51 -0400

I don't do this a lot. Why don't everyone change the Subject link to Nikon, neg.size, image sharpness, things that relate to the topic!! Not starting every post with Capa/Nikon or the like.

Capa used the Nikon RF for a short time, because he was on assigment for a new yet to come out Japan photo magazine. Part of the deal was he had to shoot with the then new Nikons on film they made. He could shoot what and were he wanted, for sixty days. Plus the paid him very well. Half way finished he got a cable from John Morris telling him LIFE wanted him to finish a story that Howard Sochurek was doing on the fighting in French Indo-China. That's before the name of the country was changed. Howard had to come home, his mother had died. Then Capa walked over a land mine and was killed. The first LIFE Magazine photographer ever killed on assigment, also making his the first American killed in Vita-Nam. He was shooting B&W with a Contax lla, and color with a Nikon, both had 50mm on them.

The other night Marc Small said Capa stopped working with the Rolleiflex in 1946, not so, he used and carried a Rollei until his death, a that time LIFE's wanted everyone when on assigment to use the Rollei, only because the larger film made for better repo. And 35mm when it was better and faster. To get the picture.

I have been a friend and a co-worker since 1960 with both Cornell Capa (before he died) and Richard Whelan he has also died. So you might say it's me and ICP that has all the material on Robert Capa .

T. Mike Fletcher ---- QWhoZeiss