[rollei_list] Re: new Zeiss Ikon- a hollow construct?

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 12:17:15 -0500

Hi Ferdi,

> In later years the
> smaller parts were produced using CNC machines.

I don't understand that either.  Typically, smaller parts are stamped.  It
would be the larger parts, like the body, due to it having many precision
holes and surfaces and size, that are CNC'd.

Also, a CNC machine has to hold the part, and that doesn't bode well for
smaller parts.  Do you have an example of a smaller part that was CNC'd for
a Rollei?  I'm not saying it can't be done, I CNC many small parts...but
they are one-offs or at least small number, and that would not be economical
to do for larger number, especially when cheaper and equally as good
manufacturing methods are available.

Regards,

Austin