[rollei_list] Re: new Zeiss Ikon- a hollow construct?

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 10:57:29 -0300

Talking about Japanese lenses, some day I will comment a well known
camera design engineer real opinion about the original Zeiss lenses
and Rolleigon Tokina lenses performance for the Rollei 6008 camera, in
spite of the price difference.

Perhaps I need to explain that from the age of 12 years old I got a
real interest about photography and I could compare with photographic
eye my father's Leica IIIf (bought brand new) prints and Voss Diax IIb
Xenon Schneider 2/50 prints (bought brand new) and from that age I
never could understand why the Leica camera was so expensive, I'm not
saying it's a bad camera or that I don't like it, in fact I like
several of the Leica designs, but I still can not find the causes for
the Leica cameras higher cost regarding other cameras with similar or
better general quality, and then I tend to look for good cameras with
a reasonable price. BTW I shot friends of mine Leica cameras, there
also is a very interesting Leica market in my country, I know what I'm
talking about. Leica prices don't have a real justification IMO.

And now to the Zeiss Ikon RF. 1)It's a new design from the scratch and
has nothing to do with Bessa, Cosina or Voigtländer from this point of
view.- 2)The telemeter is a new design and new construction, nothing
to do with other cameras including Leica.- 3) The coupling mechanism
is also new and very exact.- 4) The Copal shutter is the only common
element with other Japanese cameras, but even for this case, Zeiss
improved the shutter very much as you can read in the Erwin Puts
comment.- 5)Lenses are Carl Zeiss lenses and they need to reach the
Zeiss specs from any point of view.- 6) BTW it's not a Leica copy
except for the M mount, if you see the Erwin Puts comment photographs
and the comparison with the Leica M6 and M7 design, the differences
are very clear, starting with the round corners for the leica body and
the right angle corner  for the ZI RF and this is an interesting
point: It was Leica that copied several elements from the pre-war
Contax II for the M3 and then it's paradoxical today that a camera
like the ZI RF that resembles the Contax II could be considered a
Leica copy, it's not true.
I had no possibility to try the ZI RF, but I think and I hope it could
be my new camera for the next year, the body has a price I could
afford with some effort and I'll see the lens afterward;  I always had
a good "instinct" for cameras, and my instinct says this is a very
good camera.-

Carlos