[rollei_list] Re: my first cord

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:36:54 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc James Small" <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 12:56 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: my first cord

> At 10:24 PM 4/27/05 -0400, Aaron Reece wrote:
>
>>The finder in mine is quite dim. I improvised a fresnel
>>overlay from a=20
>>credit-card-sized magnifier which improves brightness a
>>great deal.=20
>>It's cheap and just lays flat on the ground glass - no
>>installation=20
>>required.
>

> Aaron
>
> Why not clean the viewing lens, resilver the mirror, and
> clean the viewing
> screen?  That will take care of the problem for the next
> thirty years.
>
> Marc
>
> msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
> Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!
>
> NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505

    Cleaning the lens is not difficult but requires some
disassembly of the camera. Check with Todd about a
replacement mirror, probably cheaper and better than trying
to get the old one resilvered. Also see if you can find a
Rolleigrid in good condition. The Rolleigrid is a plastic
Fresnel lens that drops on top of the ground glass. I think
they will fit on the Rolliecord III. It makes a surprizing
amount of difference. The screen is no brighter at the
center but the light from the corners is focused back to
your eye instead of being scattered. The more uniform
brightness makes the screen appear to be much brighter. I
have these on all of my Rolleis except for  the Old Standard
which the Rolleigrid doesn't fit. The grooves in the desk
magnifier are usually too coarse to make a good field lens
plus the focal length may be wrong.
   If you want info on cleaning the lens ask me, it can make
a major difference, not so much in brightness but in
contrast. It doesn't take much schmutz in a lens to destroy
the contrast.
   I am another fan of the Rolleicord. My first "real"
camera was a Rolleicord IV. That one got stolen years ago
but I have another and still use it.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA