[rollei_list] Re: my first cord

  • From: Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:24:38 -0400

My first TLR is a 'cord III. Get in the habit of advancing the film
immediately after each exposure is made. The III has no double-exposure
prevention mechanism.

The Xenars are capable of outstanding sharpness, even compared to their
big brothers on the 'flexes. One reason for this may be the
ergonomically superior shutter release, which leads to less camera
shake at the moment of exposure. It took me a while to develop the
habit of holding my 'flexes with my right thumb on the back of the
camera rather than the side, so that it could counter the force of the
index finger on the release. With the 'cords, the camera is cradled in
the left hand with the thumb firmly on the left side of the camera,
where it opposes the left index finger - the grip just occurs
naturally. I still have to think about how to hold the 'flexes,
otherwise I'll get it wrong.

The finder in mine is quite dim. I improvised a fresnel overlay from a
credit-card-sized magnifier which improves brightness a great deal.
It's cheap and just lays flat on the ground glass - no installation
required.

The bokeh in the corners can be a little . . .  strange. You may see
what I mean when you process your negatives. I tend to try to either
shoot with maximum depth of field or plan to crop the corners out when
using this camera.

Congratulations on your purchase and best regards,
Aaron