[rollei_list] Re: mirrors

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 19:09:41 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Kovacs" <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 3:26 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: mirrors

There are four soft brass screws painted black, two on each side of the hood. If you remove them, the focusing hood lifts off holding the focusing screen captive.

The mirror is held by a couple of metal tabs on the top and one on the bottom. Usually you can just loosen the screws holding the tabs, swing them out of the way and lift the mirror out.

What you need is a suitably sized front surface mirror. Replacements are available for about $20 from "redleica2" on ebay, or you can cut your own from front surface mirror stock. (Edmunds, old Polaroid cameras, etc)

You have to check focus after you replace the mirror. If the thickness of the replacement is even slightly different, you have to adjust the viewfinder lens by unlocking it and rotating it on its helical. I think on most Automats, that means pulling off the front cover as well. I'm not saying you will have to do this, but you might. Things get a little more involved from here but its not that difficult.

I did a complete restoration on my Automat II this winter. Its a great camera, something a little different with its uncoated Tessar than using my 2.8E.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mskovacs/pv/Rolleiflex/PrewarAutomat1.jpg

Neat job! The slight discoloration visible on the viewing lens is the tarnish that led Harold Dennis Taylor to discover the principle of lens coating.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx