[rollei_list] Re: mirrors

  • From: Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 07:39:44 -0400

Yes, and of course the prewar mirrors are shellac coated silver, not aluminum. Quite often the shellac turns yellow and slightly hazy on these old mirrors, so even if there isn't any obvious black spots or missing silver, the mirrors have terrible transmittance.

I have not found a way to clean these silver mirrors. The shellac is the culprit but any sort of solvent will remove the coating and the silver.

Richard is correct about the bloom on the viewing lens. That viewing lens was among the haziest lenses I have ever successfully cleaned. It literally took quite a scrubbing with kim wipe tissues using 1:1 household ammonia : household hydrogen peroxide. However, the "coating" remains even after this treatment. I am certain it would not have been possible to clean if it were a coated lens with Zeiss T coatings of that era.

The only real defect on the camera that detracts from it is the loss of plating on the front nameplate which shows as brass-coloured spots. Its not a collector's piece but really razor sharp with a nice uncoated look.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mskovacs/pv/Rolleiflex/PrewarAutomat2.jpg

Here's some photos I took with the Automat II, including a self-portrait I took with it, holding my venerable SL66 behemoth. Enjoy!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mskovacs/pv/Rolleiflex/0306-2_Bridgedetail.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/mskovacs/pv/Rolleiflex/0306-4_Ally.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/mskovacs/pv/Rolleiflex/0306-6_Emily.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/mskovacs/pv/Rolleiflex/0306-5_SPSL66.jpg

From: Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
What I do like is the date stamp on the prewar mirrors - its a very accurate way to date your camera down to build month and year according to Parker.

I like that too. On some mirrors the date is engraved, and some are written with a pencil (if the back surface is matte).

The mirror in my Sports Rolleiflex 4x4 had the date xx/xx -38 written with pencil, but it was removed when I cleaned the mirror before sending it for resilvering. I had the date written it down somewhere... somewhere... :-(

The pre-war 4x4 Rolleiflexes have thinner mirrors than their 6x6 siblings.

/Patric

--- Rollei List