[rollei_list] Re: "making an image": NOT

  • From: Choiliefan@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:16:16 EDT

In a message dated 10/20/2005 11:53:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sstoney@xxxxxxx writes:
Let's face it:  we photographers are gun nuts in disguise. We might
as well admit that we are SHOOTING, not "making an image."

  Today my partner and his son were examining a family heirloom:  the
grandfather's World War II pistol, a .45.  I was in the other room,
listening.  They were taking it apart, firing the "shutter" so to
speak, and speculating about whether it could be cleaned, lubed, and
adjusted so that it would be useful again (what with all the
hurricanes and the need to defend one's water and gasoline in
interminable evacuation traffic jams, etc.)  I realized that this is
the exact kind of thing I do with old cameras from about the same
era.  I just HAVE to get them up and running again, no matter how
impractical and silly  and sometimes expensive it is.

The Rollei may be a chick camera, but it is a chick camera for chicks
who are crypto-gun nuts.  It may be less phallic looking than, say, a
Hassie, and it may be true that you hold it over your belly and shoot
from the womb,  but it is still a gun in disguise.

It's a weapon of mass communication.

--shannon
Shannon:
I debated whether to mention a few similarities yesterday since I rarely post
anyway, having just purchased a new old stock Steyr-Mannlicher M9 9mm
semi-automatic and after a good clean and lube, took outside to run the four
magazines empty on a paper target.  Truly invigorating.
It has eye controlled auto focus and shoots very well.  Moulded in metal to
plastic frame in some ways is not unlike my Nikon F5, just not as sticky and
easy to hold during the rigors of battle.  A lanyard might help but the F5 or
Rolleiflex would make a great bludgeon should one run out of ammo in a
situation.
Long ago while in High School covering an away game, I fended off the theft
of my Mamiya C33 in just such a manner.
It's a tough world and chance favors the prepared mind.
I'm going to lay down now.
(^:
Lance