[rollei_list] "making an image": NOT

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:54:50 -0500

Let's face it: we photographers are gun nuts in disguise. We might as well admit that we are SHOOTING, not "making an image."

Today my partner and his son were examining a family heirloom: the grandfather's World War II pistol, a .45. I was in the other room, listening. They were taking it apart, firing the "shutter" so to speak, and speculating about whether it could be cleaned, lubed, and adjusted so that it would be useful again (what with all the hurricanes and the need to defend one's water and gasoline in interminable evacuation traffic jams, etc.) I realized that this is the exact kind of thing I do with old cameras from about the same era. I just HAVE to get them up and running again, no matter how impractical and silly and sometimes expensive it is.

The Rollei may be a chick camera, but it is a chick camera for chicks who are crypto-gun nuts. It may be less phallic looking than, say, a Hassie, and it may be true that you hold it over your belly and shoot from the womb, but it is still a gun in disguise.

It's a weapon of mass communication.

--shannon