[rollei_list] Re: lens recoating source

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 13:32:50 -0400

I am currently having a Leica Summicron 2/50 front element recoated by Arax, Kiev (Gevorg Vartanyan,
http://araxfoto.com/). Total cost $41 + shipping to Kiev. I had my local camera repair guy take out the element and he will put the lens back together afterwards ($65 total).
Communication with Gevorg so far was excellent. The lens should be back any day now. WiIl let you all know how this comes out.
I considered John Van Stelten but given that my early M3 + Summicron were less than what he charges for recoating I decided to stay with my goal of a getting usable "bargain Leica." (I should add that I did have DAG do the CLA and rangefinder cleaning on the M3 body and he did a very nice job). This Leica replaces my Contax S2 with chrome 45mm Tessar as an everyday "photographic notebook". My 6x6 for that purpose will be the Super Ikonta currently with H. Scherer
Jan

From: Craig Roberts <crgrbrts@xxxxxxxxxxx> Recoating is done by John Van Stelten (http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro.html ). He has recoated several of my lenses (Zeiss and Leitz) and has rebuilt a Leica M3 rangefinder for me as well. All the work was expertly done, quickly accomplished and reasonably priced. John's a nice fella, too. It should be mentioned that his recoatings are single coatings -- not multicoatings like the originals. Craig Washington, DC

--- Rollei List