[rollei_list] Re: is this lens faulty?

  • From: "John Wild" <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:33:35 -0000

Graham,

All my 6000 lenses remain wide open when on or off the camera. The lens
only shuts down to chosen/recommended aperture when the stop-down button
is depressed; the shutter only closes when the shutter release is
depressed or if the mirror-up button is depressed (to prevent light
reaching the film once the mirror and blind are swung up).

I suspect there may be a fault..... However, if the lens motors are
'latching' solenoids (require a pulse to activate and then they will
stay in that position until a second pulse de-activates them, requiring
no current to maintain the state change) it is possible that the
mirror-up button was depressed on the camera, the lens shutter closed
and the lens removed from the camera before the shutter release was
depressed allowing the shutter blades to re-open at the end of the
cycle.

If that is the way the lens motors work, then this could explain your
situation. In which case I suspect that the lens would need to be put
back on a camera which has had the miror tripped, and then to press the
shutter release allowing the shutter to open at the end of that exposure
cycle.

Personally I would seek the advice of a Rollei repairer and I do not
want to try to replicate a closed shutter on my system just in case it
ends up as a very expensive repair job. ;-)

Best wishes

John