[rollei_list] [good news from DHW Fototechnik] and Photokina 2012 news !

  • From: Bigler Emmanuel <bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:40:15 +0200

Le 24/09/2012 11:11, Dirk-Roger.Schmitt@xxxxxx a écrit :

Well, I also saw the new website. Reason that now all lenses are
marked "Apogon" maybe the following: DHW just did not get or was not
able/willing to pay the license fee to Zeiss for using their brand
names for the lenses. Maybe the license Zeiss granted to Rollei is
still hold by "Rollei", not by DHW. And the negotiations to use the
brand names came out with a negative result. So I believe they
exactly continue to make the same lenses as under Zeiss brand name
but mark them Apogon. As all patents are expired, they of course can
just continue to make the lenses. Dirk

Hello all, hello Dirk

The reasons invoked by Dirk are excellent and are not in contradiction
with the use of non-Zeiss lens designs as well.

For example, a look at the schematic diagram for the SLR / 7-element
80mm apogon (available on the new web site) shows that this is not the
Zeiss design.

Speaking about DHW : I was at the photokina in Cologne last Saturday
22/9/12 and Sunday 23/9/12. I can tell you that I am not at all coming
back with the idea that everybody is now taking pictures with mobile
phones (called "Handy" in Germany **see note 1 below) or
computer-tablets.

Reason #1 is obvious when you queue in the morning before the opening
of gates, you cannot imagine that all people coming there have no
interest in photography, except taking pictures with mobile phones.

Reason#2 is obvious when you come back from this famous trade show:
the number of manufacturers for tripods and ballheads is simply
amazing !!! So far, I've never seen a mobile phone or a tablet taking
pictures firmly secured with a ballhed on a tripod : coming soon ?
;-);-)

Coming back to DHW : I did not have time or did not dare to start a
conversation with the DHW people, but there were lots of people at
their booth. Everything was there on display like 2 years ago, the
whole TLR line, the 600x, and the HY-6-2. Plus a few niew things.

I saw the new 2,8FX-N TLR with an Apogon-branded name, and the 55cm
minimum focusing distance. So far the only disctinctive feature
visible from outside of the 2,8FX N is a "tulip-shaped" lens hood ; I
have no idea why they introduced this kind of hood usually associated
with zooms, instead of the good ol' solid square lens hood ;-)

Coloured Rollei-35 cameras with mirror-polished chrome top body were
on display, and our beloved SONNAR 2.8 - 40 mm now is called Apogon as
well. I doubt that this is a new design, hence Dirk's explanation is
the right one.

** note 1 : in Germany, you'll hear many English-sounding words, like
   in French. Some of them are the genuine English words with the same
   meaning. Some other words look like English, but nobody uses them
   outside the German-speaking world or the French-speaking word. My
   favourite are, in German : the Handy for cellular or mobile phone
   (OK this is true German, Hand is ... hand) and : BEAMER, for a
   video-projector ;-) In French the most infamous Frenglish words
   are: "tennisman" for a tennis-player, "caméraman" for a
   movie-camera operator, and, the worst of all horrors,
   "aquaplaning", an absurd barbarism, this is when your car begins to
   slip totally out of control on a very wet road ;-)