[rollei_list] Re: changing lens formulas

  • From: aghalide@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 23:49:41 +0000

After 4 years at /RIT and two weeks working for the fashion editor of the
Ladies' Home Journal I was recommended by C.B. Neblette for a position at
Modern Photography Magazine to replace the technical person who left to write
books and brochures about Polaroid products. That was 1957. Upon returning from
6-months active duty in Arkansas I worked with Optical Expert Ben Sherman to
create a lens testing method. Ben decided to use the U.S. Airforce targets and
test for resolution and call it lens sharpness.
This worked most times, but failed manytimes. Zeiss lenses for the Zeiss
Contarex tested badly for resolution and great for sharp images. Zeiss seemed
to be designed to give high contrast, as did many Nikkors which also failed in
resolution. Minolta did well with resolution and fair with contrast. Leica
lenses did well in both cases. So we didn't publish low contrast lenses because
we were really testing for high and low resolution not contrast. If the lens
failed a test we didn't publish the results.
Many years later they added contrast to the lens test.  Ed Meyers

-------------- Original message from "Richard Knoppow"
<dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>: --------------