[rollei_list] Re: capturing photons at one TRILLION frames/second

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:18:33 +0000 (GMT)

On Dec 13, 2011, at 03:39 PM, Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is bloody amazing! Capturing photons as they travel by using a camera system taking, the equivalent of, one TRILLION frames/second!

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/trillion-fps-camera-1213.html

Lots of videos in the following:

http://web.media.mit.edu/~raskar/trillionfps/

Make sure you watch the coke bottle video.

Jim Brick
Sunnyvale, CA
http://www.photomojo.org

Some very impressive stuff there. One odd observation, I was looking for the reflected light from the apple on the table below it, and did not see it. Curious. The coke bottle is very cool.  I think the reflection from the label may be going "supra luminal" i.e. faster than the main light pulse for a short time.
Thanks for the link.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe