[rollei_list] Re: bad news re: old rollei

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:39:00 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 10:24 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] bad news re: old rollei

I just got a call from Krikar (sp?) at Krimar Photo Shop, where he fixes old Rolleis. He says that my 1937 Rollei is not worth fixing, because there is a crack where the latch is, and the shutter is off and not fixable in his view. He says it would cost $300-400 to fix it, and I might as well buy another, better one that he has for that price.

But I have already put several hundred dollars into this camera, and I don't want to give up on it entirely. I wonder if I could just tape the bottom where the latch is, in the same way that I tape up my Holga? The shutter might still be something of a problem, but at least I have more control with it than I do with the Holga.

Sorry for the blasphemy of comparing a Rollei to a Holga, but in this case it seems like it's so broke that it's only slightly above the Holga in value. Still, I wonder if it might be useable? Maybe Mr. Krikar would not use it, but maybe it's good enough for me.

--shannon

I thought we determined that this was a c.1938 Rollei Automat, not an "old standard". If the crack is in the back or in the latch a replacement might be available from someone on this list.
Shutters are seldom beyond repair but sometimes parts can be missing or damaged due to previousl attempts at repair. It would be helpful to know exactly what is wrong.
Even if the back or body has a small crack I suspect it could be patched with one of the materials available in auto supply stores, something like JB Weld. The shutter puzzles me, I have a couple of very old Compurs that have had a hard life but they still work OK.
This guy has such a good reputation that its hard to doubt him but perhaps its just a job he does not want to undertake.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx