[rollei_list] archival matters

  • From: fsilberman@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 16:34:09 -0400

Hi Austin,

Yes you are probably right, there are other solutions that probably work better
out there.

A lab recommended that to me multiple HD option to me & I was passing it along.
Also I've had bad luck

with CD's losing some photos on some that were less than 3 yrs old. not sure
why as they were stored properly.

They were not the high end gold ones or others that say they are archival
though. It's ironic that the digital files are great in that you

can duplicate them perfectly, but unfortunately can be lost when archiving:) I
think the best archive is probably an output to film or a final print?

Regards,

Frederic

you wrote:

Hi Frederic,
Are hard drives better long term than tape is?  I'm not sure that's true.

I'm also not sure I believe CD/DVDs aren't pretty darned good.  This company
claims 50 years:

http://www.primera.com/backup-archival.html

These guys claim 300 years:

http://www.mediasupply.com/mama.html

I'm going to guess they haven't any actual ones that have lasted 300 years
though ;-)  But, my point is, I don't think this is shuch an open and shut
case, unless someone can point to a study that has some credibility that
gives actual test data and results.

Regards,

Austin