[rollei_list] Re: age old digital vs film debate...again...was RE: OT Ancient Computers

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 21:08:09 +0100

Hi Peter,

I can tell you that people are different. That what is 'best' for you (or even a majority) is not neccessarily 'best' for someone else. Or that what is best for the majority will be what is best for the person producing amazing work.

Also, I have purposely avoided shooting weddings, you are correct. My way of shooting doesn't mesh well with the requirements of a wedding shoot, it's not something I've ever wanted to do. As for being an amateur, I think that depends on your definition of the term. I have had periods during my life where I have made my living as a photographer - by taking pictures, producing images, telling stories. For commercial clients, private ones, and newspapers. It's not what I do now. However I do know of people who still (and others who have) shot weddings with 501C's, Rollei's, and many other cameras. Whatever is 'best' is up to the person who will use the tools...

So for your way of shooting weddings, your requirements and your clientelle, it seems you disagree with my example. You may fit the 'majortity' of wedding shooters. But that still doesn't mean that the difference you state is equally valid for other photographers, wedding or not. Perhaps that was a poor example for me to use. I hope you understood the general gist just the same.

Again, in a nutshell, we're (collectively) sacrificing quality for convenience. I don't mean just for photography, I mean in most areas (perhaps all) of life. Quality is diminishing across the bar, and new generations are blind to it (being raised surrounded with a lower benchmark and seldom exposed to how good things *could* be). That's my assertion, at least. YMMV :-).

Cheers,
Thor

On 15. jan.. 2009, at 18.37, Peter K. wrote:

NO, that is your interpretation as an amateur who probably has never shot a wedding. I have and can tell you it makes a difference. Nice try though.