[rollei_list] Re: age old digital vs film debate...again...was RE: OT Ancient Computers

  • From: John Wild <jwild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:55:17 +0000

There is a 'new style' photographer recently started up near to me, who
offers a 30 minute studio session for about £30 (even better value to
foreign tourists now!), just 'blowing off' as many digital shots of the
subject(s) as possible, loading the whole lot onto disc and giving the disc
to the subject to sort through and do with as they please.

Skill/artistic levels required? Apparently there is a long waiting list.
Anyone(?) can do this sort of thing with a digicam but it does lower the
meaning of a 'portrait'.

Of course, this would 'Costa Fortune' on film and the subject would have to
wait a week or so to see the results. People want it NOW! There are people
who will adapt what's currently available and use it to make money.

Sadly, a great number of people do not know the difference between a fine
art portrait and a quick digisnap so they will go to this sort of studio;
others will go and have their portrait taken on a Gandolfi. Same thing with
fast food and fine dining etc.etc.etc..

John