[rollei_list] Re: age old digital vs film debate...again...was RE: OT Ancient Computers

  • From: "Stephen Attaway" <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:23:16 -0800

Hi all:

What an active debate! Why not use both? The new Ektar color print film and
400CN b&w scan beautifully. I use them with my trusty F2, leica, and contaflex.
Gives me very nice 20 megapixel scans. In medium format, 400 CN for my 'cord,
portra 160 and Astia slide film for the Rollei: over 70 mp scanned thru my
Nikon coolscan 8000, although realistically there is no more detail in the
scans than in a 30 mp digital back.

On the other hand, if I'm going to go to the track or an event and fire off
400+ frames, I'll take my D300.

Unless you are a pro and have to have the digital output from a mf back or 25
mp class camera, I think its cheaper and certainly more fun to pick up a Nikon
8000 or 9000 medium format scanner and use your old film gear as well as
digital.

I've settled on Astia and relatively neutral color print film for scanning.
Their dynamic range is a good match for the scanner. I never could get Velvia's
shadows to scan well without blooming or artifacts.

Just my 2 cents.