[rollei_list] Re: Zeiss Opton

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 07:10:20 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter J Nebergall" <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 6:59 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Zeiss Opton

I've seen this term "Zeiss Opton," describing a # of lenses, such as on
my newly purchased Automat, and describing a # of lenses for Contax.
What does it mean. Why have I never sen it on a lens? I see Zeiss,
Zeiss Jena, occasionally "aus Jena" (w/o "Zeiss") but I hear of these
"Optons" and have never seen a lens so labelled.

Who can clarify?

PJ Nebergall

Keep looking, they exist. Marc is the one to give you a full explanation. It has to do with the legal mess about who owned the Zeiss name after WW-2 when there were two groups claiming to be Zeiss.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx