[rollei_list] Re: Zeiss Ikon OOB in 1971

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:50:31 -0700

Kyocera closed Contax because they were not selling. Plain and simple.
Earlier in the decade when Kyocera wanted to introduce AF SLR lenses for the
Contax line, there was resistance from Carl Zeiss to embrace autofocus
technology because it was felt that the lenses would have to be made from
lighter materials such as plastic. By the time they came around and opted to
use AF on SLRs (due in large part to the success of the G series) on Contax
N and also the Contax 645AF (which was magnificent IMO, but expensive) So
when the company pulled the plug on Contax in 2005 it was unfortunate and
one would have to say the resistance of Zeiss to the initial develop AF SLR
lenses was in part to blame.
Nikon, Canon, Minolta, and Pentax ate their lunch as they all had AF 35mm
SLRs. There was the Contax AX, known to many as the brick, which was a poor
seller. Nice idea but not what people wanted.

Bottom line, when companies do not make what people are interesting in
buying at a price they are will to pay they run the risk of going out of
business. Those who embrace new technology usually survive. Same in the job
market. If you never learn new skills, you will never stay employed unless
you are a civil servant.

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Austin Franklin <
austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> > I was unaware that anyone still bought or used
> > the Contax RTS system.  Wonders never
> > cease!  When Kyocera dumped it, you couldn't give the gear away.
>
> I'm not sure what time frame you're referring to here, but the Contax RTS,
> and 645 camera lines have always had a strong following.  Perhaps not as
> strong at the very end for new gear, but the used market has stayed quite
> strong since, and through today, with some items carrying a pretty good
> premium.
>
> Regards,
>
> Austin

Peter K