[rollei_list] Re: Zeiss Ikoflex Lens Issue

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 23:04:00 -0500

At 09:53 AM 12/28/2006, Mark Delman wrote:
>Hi folks:
>
>I am in the process of cleaning and restoring a Zeiss
>Ikoflex original model (coffee can).
>
>I took apart the viewing lens to clean the elements
>but got the placement and or direction of the elements
>out of order.
>
>Does anyone have information, a lens diagram, or
>service manual which can shed light on this?
>
>Marc James Small, can you resscue me?

I studied camera repair to the point where I was comfortable doing camera repair. Then I immediately quit doing it. It is like brain surgery: you have to do a LOT of it to know what you are doing and to keep yourself capable of meeting the demands. So, I often buy a busted camera worth $50 in fine condition and have Ken Ruth or John Van Stelten bill me $250 to overhaul it. But when I get it back, it will be right, and that is what counts. I do not collect cameras as a fiscal exercize or to have hangar queens: I want cameras which are capable of taking pictures.

For once, that mighty resource, Wright & Glanfield's LENS COLLECTORS VADE MECUM, failed me as they had little to add on the Teronar tale other than that it was the viewing lens on the Ikoflex. Wolf Umbach in North Carolina has the factory manuals, but he'd probably not be willing to do anything with him unless you sent him the camera for his service. (Wolf runs Z-V Service.) Jerry was right when he said that folks like you make repair dudes happy. I'd call Wolf or Eddie Smoloff in Brooklyn and ask for their help. Or maybe Essex. They might do you a job.

I suspect that you have a three-element Teronar-Anastigmat viewing lens. This should have three elements. Even if you have spacers to work into the mix, you have a limited number of possibilities, so why not play with these until you develop a lens with abut a 3" focal length? Bob's your uncle!

And do NOT try this again unless you take FAR better notes!

<he grins>

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!