[rollei_list] Re: Xenotar F2.8 v. F2

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 19:11:43 +0200

Hi Peter,

indeed I do :-).

I haven't tested against a 2.8, as I couldn't find one after a long search on the net, and then the f2 suddenly dropped into my lap. I was able to return the Planar 2.8 for a refund (had just received the camera kit) so I use the 80/2 as my primary lens. After 15 years with the 110mm Macro on the Bronica, 80mm is a weird angle of view for me. I've recently tried adding the 1.4 Longar to get approx 112mm, which works well and gives f2.8. However, it is a heavy combination.

I've seen the Photodo site, but don't know exactly what to make of it. Sharpness and contrast are important, of course. I don't know how relevant the tests are for real world, nor if more is always better (an obvious example - Sanders' portraits would not be nearly as nice if they were taken with razor sharp high contrast lenses). Of course, the obvious solution is a Softar or similar. Still, we're talking extreme performance in almost any lens offered by Schneider or Zeiss.

Personally, I think pretty much all lenses will offer more than ample performance for film & digital. There might be one or two that aren't as attractive as others (the Zeiss 150 comes to mind), but I think with the 6x6 neg you get so much more over 35mm regardless of glass chosen (Rollei, Hasselblad, Bronica, Pentax, Mamiya - I don't mean Holga :-).

Of course, if someone had offered to trade a f2.8 for my f2, I might consider it, but the f2.8 seems at least as rare as the f2 is. Right now I'd like to find a S-A 40/3.5 (and possibly a Curtagon 60/3.5 - also apparently quite rare).

Cheers,
Thor

On 13 May, 2006, at 17:25, Peter K. wrote:

Hi Thor,
I bet you own one. :-) And NO, it is not identical to the F2.8 version in terms of sharpness from F2.8 up. Go to Photodo.com and you will see what I saying is accurate, providing you want to believe it. At ALL apertures the F2.8 design is sharper. Overall it gets a very high 4.1 while the F2 version gets a 3.7. The F2 provides the extra stop at a "slight" loss of sharpness. The F2.8 version is superb. And believe me as a Planar guy, I am not one to tout the Xenotar, but this one is magnificent. If I had a Rollei 6008, I would but the 80mm Xenotar F2.8 over the F2 and also over the 80mm Planar.

Peter K

--- Rollei List