[rollei_list] Xenotar F2.8 v. F2

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 08:25:11 -0700

Hi Thor,
I bet you own one. :-) And NO, it is not identical to the F2.8 version in
terms of sharpness from F2.8 up. Go to Photodo.com and you will see what I
saying is accurate, providing you want to believe it. At ALL apertures the
F2.8 design is sharper. Overall it gets a very high 4.1 while the F2 version
gets a 3.7. The F2 provides the extra stop at a "slight" loss of sharpness.
The F2.8 version is superb. And believe me as a Planar guy, I am not one to
tout the Xenotar, but this one is magnificent. If I had a Rollei 6008, I
would but the 80mm Xenotar F2.8 over the F2 and also over the 80mm Planar.

Peter K

On 5/13/06, Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx> wrote:

f2 is hand7y indoors (concerts), night/evening as well as when using with a Longar 1.4 (giving a 112mm/f2.8).

It's plenty sharp as well (Scheinder sent me a copy of the MTF's and
said from 2.8 and up it is basically identical to the 80/2.8 version,
but offers the 2.0 aperture at the expense of size and weight).

Cheers,
Thor

On 13 May, 2006, at 0:07, Peter K. wrote:

> Well, if you do I will provide you a tissue. :-)
>
> The F2 is good, fast, large and sharp. But the 2.8 is the one to get.
> Unless of course you need an F2 aperture or want to impress someone.
>

> On 5/12/06, Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx> wrote: I wouldn't sneeze
> at the f2 version either....
>>
>> Thor
>>

>> On 12 May, 2006, at 22:08, Peter K. wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Rei,
>> >
>> > What a neat link. Now if I hada Rollei 6003 or 6008, I would love to
>> > find Xenotar 2.8 for it as from what I have read, it is the better
>> of
>> > all the 80mm lenses specifically for the Rollei 600x. Hands down
>> beats
>> > the Xenotar F2.
>> >
>> > Peter K
>>
>> ---
>> Rollei List
>>
>> - Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'
>> in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org

>> 'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
>> www.freelists.org

>>  //www.freelists.org/archives/rollei_list
>>

> --
> Peter K