[rollei_list] Re: Xenar sharpness, was OT? Lens Film Compatibility

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 23:19:35 -0400

Once I had a Rolleicord V with a superb Xenar that, in a bout of stupidity, I sold. Then I acquired a 'cord III with a Xenar that was depressingly flat. But I now own a Rolleiflex MX-EVS Xenar that is breathtakingly sharp ( I've never been much of a bokeh sniffer).

Maybe it's less a matter of ergonomics than luck of the draw.

Allen Zak

On May 20, 2007, at 9:35 PM, Aaron Reece wrote:

I have a Rolleicord III with Xenar that takes photos that are frighteningly sharp. It easily bests my 'flex MX with Tessar and even gives my Xenotar a run for its money at f/8 and above. Part of this may be due to the ergonomics of the shutter release on the Cord, which seems more conducive to minimizing camera shake. Somehow the release on the 'flexes seems to encourage shake if I am not really concentrating on avoiding movement.

The problem with my Xenar, and one of the reasons I don't use it too much anymore, is that the bokeh tends to get really ugly towards the edges of the image. It can be very distracting in a typical portrait with shallow depth of field, for example. Many others have reported this drawback here and in other fora.

Still, in situations where shallow depth of field is not desirable, it is a great lens and well worth adding to one's arsenal.

Best regards,
Aaron Reece

On May 20, 2007, at 1:33 PM, dpurdy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 Though I have got to say that
looking at people's work on line it is amazing how often the Rolleicord
Xenar images look exceedingly sharp.

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org