[rollei_list] Re: XTOL Mix-It-Yourself Formula

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:15:43 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:38 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: XTOL Mix-It-Yourself Formula

At 02:46 PM 7/27/2010, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>    I think you can get all the ingredients for the powder
>formula given in the Xtol patents from Photographer's
>Formulary.

They are not.  The MSDS formula requires

Diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid pentasodium salt

and

4-hydroxymethyl-4-methyl-1-phenyl-3-pyrazolidinone

Not exactly garden-variety chemicals of the sort
Photographers' Formulary stocks.  Again, this
would be Fisher Scientific sort of thing, if even they stock these.

Marc

The second is Kodak Dimezone, a variation of Phenidone. Photographer's Formulary has it in three sizes, the smallest is 10grams for $4.95. This stuff is used in fractional grams per liter. The second is a sequestering agent, the Formulary does not have DPTA, not sure where to get it but I think the developer will work without it. Its a sequestering agent for minerals in the water so if you use distilled water you can probably do without it. J.T.Baker stocks it but only in much larger than practical quantities and at too high a price.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA