[rollei_list] Re: XTOL

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:49:06 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "WILLIAM SCHILLEREFF" <FRWILLIAM@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 7:35 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] XTOL

> We had this discussion about a year ago but what was
> outcome of our XTOL developer conversation?  I use TRI X
> 400 most of the time and use Microdol X.  There is a
> question about the continuance of this developer and the
> replenisher is already gone.  So how does Xtol  and
> replenisher stack up.
> Bill

   Microdol-X at full strength will give you about as fine
grain as the film is capable of but loses nearly a stop of
speed. Xtol will give you more grain but also around 1-1/2
stops more speed. The grain will be intermediate between
Microdol-X and D-76.
   I think enough is known about the Microdol-X formula to
duplicate it. It is essentially D-23 with sodium chloride
added. Sodium chloride (table salt) acts as a fine grain
agent. Microdol-X also probably includes something to
suppress dichroic fog. This may not be necessary if the
developer is not re-used. Ilford Perceptol is similar in
action but, according to its MSDS, contains a large amount
of Potassium Bromide as the fine grain agent. I am pretty
sure the MSDS has changed in the not too distant past. By
memory it was similar to Microdol-X. I don't know if this
reflects an actual change in the formula, an error on the
MSDS, or bad memory on my part. I think I have the older
MSDS on a Zip disc somewhere but my last Zip drive died and
I have never replaced it.
   BTW, I recently suffered the sudden death effect of Xtol.
Kodak sent me a replacement package which I have not mixed
yet. They could offer no explanation but stated that they
had not had many complaints about the five liter packages
having problems. That does not exactly tally with traffic on
the mailing lists or Usenet gruops I subscribe to.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx