[rollei_list] Re: Why a Commoner

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 22:54:21 -0400

At 12:39 AM 8/1/2009, Jim Boy wrote:
Marc and Richard, thanks for the information. Seems complicated enough that the idea of a trial by a jury of 12 of your peers probably has implications I've never thought of. I recently watched the Queen's coronation on YouTube. Maybe I can find my copy of Jim Corbett's book about guarding a princess through the night against the depredations of a leopard, only to have her awake as a Queen in the morning.

The treehouse hotel where Philip and Elizabeth were staying in Kenya when word came of her father's death is still in business and is a resort destination, mainly for USian monarchy-nuts, it seems.

Until 1949, UK peers could claim the right to be tried by THEIR peers, the House of Lords. I'm not certain why they surrendered that right as it was not a very controversial one.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!