[rollei_list] Way OT: Sears

  • From: Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 23:10:54 -0400

Emmanuel:

Sears, Roebuck and Co. was once the end-all, be-all of USian department stores. They carried all manner of "dry goods," not just hardware. They may have been the first really massive mail-order retailer as well. My knowledge of this subject is a bit sparse. Among the items which could be purchased via mail were house kits. Yes, you could buy a complete house-in-a-box (ready-to-assemble, or what I suppose our estranged British brethren call "flat-pack"). I understand that the quality was actually quite high and many of these houses are still extant, and read some time ago that interest in them among house buyers was on the rise. Anyway, Sears was once the largest retailer in the US and several generations of us will remember the catalogs that they circulated prior to Christmastime. I still remember shopping at the Sears in Roanoke, Virginia as a small child - like many department stores of that era, it had a decent short-order lunch counter. The company steadily lost sales volume to Wal-Mart and the like and finally sold out to K-Mart in 2005. An ignoble end to a company that was for many years a bulwark of American life. There are still stores under the Sears name but as far as I can tell they have become indistinguishable from other mid-range department stores.

Best wishes,
Aaron Reece
Oswego, New York, USA

On Mar 17, 2007, at 5:08 AM, Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Seen from this side of the Atlantic, I would guess that this Sears
device would be fitted with a razor-sharp planer ;-)

Not kidding, Marc, is this photo-Sears company the same brand as the
famous chain of hardware stores ? (my favourite place when I'm in
Northen America looking for a 1/4" or 3/8" tooling to make photo
threads ;-)