[rollei_list] Re: Was INFO REQUEST, Now Ken Ruth

  • From: Robert Marvin <marvbej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 08:47:34 -0800

In my experience the (about six years ago) the re-spooled 620 film comes on flimsy plastic spools which tend to break when used as take-up spools. I obtained about three dozen metal Kodak, Ansco, and Agfa 620 spools from various sources which I used to re-spool 120 film. This wasn't very difficult, but was enough of a PITA to discourage use of my Medalist. I waited until the camera needed a CLA before sending it to Ken Ruth (the interlock that normally prevented the shutter from releasing when the lens was retracted started kicking in all the time).

Ken also removed the flash bulb delay mechanism, making the shutter release MUCH smoother. Of course I could never recover the money I spent for the modifications, but I figure my Medalist II is now the functional equivalent of the more expensive (and MUCH larger) Fuji RF cameras (but with an even better lens).

Bob Marvin

On Friday, March 31, 2006, at 11:03  PM, Peter K wrote:

. Wouldn't you be better off simply buying 620 film from B&H? Or did the
conversion allow you to do something unique?
On 3/31/06, Robert Marvin <marvbej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ken converted my Medalist II to 120 last year. Jerry is right on both
counts, the conversion cost about twice what the camera would go for on
eBay, but IMO was worth it from a functional viewpoint.

--- Rollei List